OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
NOTE: Handgun purchase permits will not be processed after 3:45pm
Notary Service – $5.00
When applying for a permit to purchase a hand gun the applicant must:
- Have passed the basic pistol safety questionnaire must be either:
- Be a United States citizen, or a resident legal alien
- A Michigan resident
- 18 years or older
- Have never been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated unless competency has been restored by court order, not under involuntary hospitalization or an alternative treatment program due to mental illness;
- Not have been indicted for, pending charges for, nor convicted of, a felony; or, if convicted, your rights to purchase or possess a firearm have been restored.
- Have not been found “not guilty” by reason of insanity or subject to conditional bond release, personal bond release, a personal protection order or other court order which prohibits the applicant from purchasing or possessing a firearm
- Applicant has not unlawfully used a controlled substance in the last year.
In addition, Michigan Law MCL 28.422(3); MSA 28.92(3) commonly referred to as the “probable cause statutes” allow police agencies to deny a citizen a permit to purchase if, in the discretion of the police agency, the applicant would be a threat to himself/herself or to other individuals. In the event that a citizen is denied a permit to purchase they have the option of challenging the decision in Circuit Court.